Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Mascarpone Filling
Prepared for Craft Brew Bouquet by Kayla from Pure.Sweet.
Make about 30-35 Whoopie Pies
For the Pumpkin Whoopie Cakes
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Mascarpone Filling
- 2 8oz. containers of mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two sheet pans with parchment paper, a silpat liner, or non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together brown sugar and oil. Whisk in pumpkin puree and then add in the egg. Whisk until all ingredients are combined.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Using a piping bag* or small ice cream scoop, drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes on pan, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- To make the filling: sift powdered sugar into a bowl or onto a piece of parchment paper.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat mascarpone cheese until fluffy. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Transfer to a piping bag and snip the the end of the pastry bag.*
- Once the cakes are cooled completely, pipe the filling onto half of the cakes. Top those with the other half, creating little sandwiches.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days.
*If you do not have a pastry bag, you can use a plastic sandwich bag. Just fill the bag with filling and snip one end off.
Recipe adapted from Baked Bakery via Martha Stewart